Monday 31 March 2008

The Apprentice - Back to Unreality

After reading a post on Reduce to Common Sense, I was inspired to write my own piece on The Apprentice (UK style). With the news series starting and another bunch of hopefuls setting their sights on working for Sir Alan Sugar, what are we to expect this time around?
Well, how about a candidate who prices lobster at about a sixth of it's market price? That's right. Our first contestant (interviewee?) to be evicted couldn't even price up fish. To be fair who can blame him? He was a trained lawyer, not a businessman. Why on earth was he on the show? He was not a man who aspired to be an entrepreneur but was just there to be a part of the publicity. More fool him, I'm not too sure who would be looking to take him on now after a total capitulation in the board room.
I'm a fan of The Apprentice but the concept of the show as being Reality TV goes straight over my head. It is greatly entertainting, watching egos get destroyed and people who claim to be 'the best in the world' getting put straight into their place. One female contestant actually suggested she is the best salesperson in Europe. I'd like to see her detailed research into this which no doubt is available (just Google isaythingstomakemefeelgood.com and you'll find it).
The problem I have with the show is the fact that it isn't in any way real. How many jobs have you applied for that require knowledge of accounting, marketing, purchasing, sales, a bit of law and various other bits thrown in. What job are these people actually applying for? If I saw a specification like that I'd run the other way instantly. The whole reason they are there is to appear on TV and nothing more. If Sir Alan wants to find an 'Apprentice,' it won't be here as shown with previous winners who have quit the position within months. It is turning more into the X-Factor every year.
I will watch the series and see how it pans out. I have become rather endeared to Raef who has a clear belief that arrogance and vanity are virtues to behold. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on after confessing in the premiere of the series that he can't manage people other than himself. There is also an Essex boy in there who I'm just waiting to burst out with some sort of Ali G impression.

1 comment:

Rana said...

Thanks for the link. You are right, it is becoming less of a business programme and more of a reality show. As you read, I think there is a fundamental flaw in the selection procedure, but it's still ok as entertainment.